1.8.10

assume crash positions

those of you who know me well understand that i have what can only be described as a mild obsession with buffy the vampire slayer (well...those of you who really know me well might describe it as more than 'mild'). the universe joss whedon created has long gone out of vogue with the exception of reruns late late at night. however, when things come up in my life i almost always find some kind of buffy analogy - a situation, a line, a plot twist - that helps me think about what is going on in reality.

this recent decision to enter into a job search is no different. i realized today that i have been living in what tara, in the episode 'after life' called 'assume-crash-positions.' tara was talking about a spell that the group had done to bring buffy back to life. it went well despite some hitches, and in the end the group had what they wanted for themselves - their friend back. tara used the 'crash-positions' metaphor to describe the feeling the group had about the huge risk they were taking. they were all poised for it to go wrong - tensed up and ready for the crash and burn. today i found in myself that same sense of impending dread...only after i had relaxed a bit.

some personal history is needed to understand why i might be all worried about this job search thing. my first job search after college was very painful. i applied to over 20 different jobs, was rejected by 18, and in the end earned myself a part-time position with smith college residence life. don't get me wrong...at least i ended up with a job, but i will say that the process of being rejected that many times was pretty upsetting to a girl who had only once before been told 'no' for something she'd applied for. during that two month period i lived out of my car in the clark university parking garage, writing cover letters at the library and showering in the gym. it was not a completely awful existence, but it certainly left an impression.

my next job searches were much easier. i'd learned i would survive rejection, and i had built up my resume in a way that made it harder for places not to notice me. i also had going for me the fact that i did not NEED the job i was applying for. as soon as i took the smith job my dad told me 'you have a job, so now you can look for one.' this bit of wisdom has helped me a lot as i moved on in life. i generally don't let go of one branch until i've found the next to swing to.

that was not the case when i got back from new zealand. wilderness therapy jobs were dried up as was my savings account. i lucked out landing the job i am in now - but jason has not. he has been working in wilderness therapy as best he can, but layoffs loom and we are looking for jobs in new places.

i still deal with the issues with my initial job search when i put together my resume and start writing cover letters. i worry that the resume is not good enough. i wonder what i should put into my letters. i have anxiety over whether or not i am going to get calls. i worry, worry, worry my days in distraction and my nights in insomnia.

this week i landed a couple of interviews. it felt good to hear from places and to know that even in this tough economy i might be competitive. i stopped frantically checking every university's job boards twice a day. i stopped having crazy dreams. i stopped feeling panicky. i just...stopped. in the end i realized i stopped doing and feeling a lot of things that i did not realize i was. i relaxed though i did not realize i was tense. i've slept better, laughed more, and done more fun things this week. i know i am not out of the woods so to speak, but i am realizing it will be ok.

how to do this without crash positions?

i wish i knew. i'd like to take on change without it being arduous, stressful, and anxiety-riddled. i know that there is always going to be some of that, but i also know that i should not have to live in crash position until things smooth out. it's not fun.

if you know how please let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment